Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Why was Renée Fleming saying "Toy, toy, toy" to everybody on the Simon Boccanegra theater broadcast?

The nice lady sitting next to me in the movie theater asked me this. Renée was spitting on them! Symbolically, that is. It's spelled "toi, toi, toi," and it's something you say to wish performers good luck.  It's the European equivalent of "Break a leg." The theory is that if you say something nice about a person, it brings them bad luck. The reverse is therefore true, so if you wish them covered with spittle, they should do well. Charming!

Another similar thing you might hear performers say is, "In boca al lupo." That's Italian for "May you be in the wolf's mouth."  The companion phrase is, "Crepa il lupo," meaning "May the wolf die." I learned this from an Italian singer, but I've never heard anyone actually say the second part.  Americans seem to shorten it to "Bocalupo." Top it off with a couple of air kisses—or even three if you're feeling particularly French—and everybody's happy!

Dio mio! What if I jinxed my first blog entry by writing about luck? I'd better touch my red coral horn to ward off the Evil Eye! And spit. We can't live without the spitting.

2 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for this post! I was wondering about that. I have been around performing most of my life, on both sides of the Pond without ever having heard that. (I joke that I spent more time trying to get OFF stage as some people spend trying to get ON it! Finally succeeded and made the switch to textile designing!) Great blog!
    Wonder if you have any words of wisdom on nurturing a young opera=fan. I have been taking her to the Met relays and she will throw herself on the floor and hold her breath till blue if her Mom looks like she might have something else in mind for those Saturdays...she even made it through "Hamlet" this week in a good mood (-; although I think she missed the "spectacle" she's gotten used to. The closest "live" is Atlanta and I will try to take her over there next season. She's 12, BTW!!! Anyway, any more ideas to nurture without overwhelming would be welcome!
    My blog is here http://weaversouth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I too appreciate your.cogent explanation!

    ReplyDelete